Thursday, October 24, 2013

Is Home a Place? Or is Home a Feeling?



Good Morning everyone (Smile) … today I am sharing another one of my Art Journal pages with all of you, and just to recap my personal guidelines for art journaling are: 1) to use whatever leftover bits are in front of me after a session of creating and 2) to give that little voice in my head free reign and to do whatever it guides me to do - no matter what. 



Now to be totally honest I started doing this Art Journal thing as way to help me to clean up my counter space since I seem to have a hard time throwing any little bit of anything away (Grin)… but the experience has now evolved into a very personal process and it has become a way for me to express feelings that I find I am suppressing or even hiding from myself.



This page started out as a pretty fall page using all those colors that resonate so strongly in my soul – yellow, orange, amber, gold and brown – but it ended up being a reflection of the emotional upheaval I am experiencing even thinking about moving away from the home that I love so much… the home that my hubby and I have created from the ground up over the past 13 years here in the foothills of Alberta.



I had not even realized I was having all of these feelings until I “uncorked” the bottle I keep that little voice in and all of this poured out!  The creative process took me to all kinds of crazy places… Like tearing a page out of an old book (Freudian stuff here?) ripping it up and gluing it down in a blob(??)  And paper piecing the Susan K. Weckesser house stamp in monochrome colors and fencing it in(?!).  But it was the final step in my process that was the most revealing, 



picking up that black pen to doodle where ever it felt right… and then putting that same pen down and writing from my soul… and what came out was so honest and then so cathartic and finally so healing…



Is “HOME” a place? Or is “HOME” a feeling that we can create and re create wherever we are?  And then I realized that even if we do move, the memory of THIS home will always be in my heart… and that I know I CAN have (and will have) this feeling again now matter where I live.




So thanks for stopping by to share  tiny piece of my soul with me today.  I hope it helps you to reflect on what HOME means to you in your life right now.

Susan K. Weckesser Design Team
Note: I used the Happy Homestead Stamp by Unity on this project

4 comments:

  1. I have had to work through a lot of these issues. I had to move out of a house and into an apartment...is it any less of a home because I don't own it? I still have issues with it after 3 years...but I have learned to love my little place and accept things for what they are. Home is in our hearts, in our minds...not in our possessions! I love your art journaling and the way it has been helping you to understand some issues in your life...we always say say that art is therapy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandee thank you for the kind words and the wisdom that comes from having been there... and I agree... Home is NOT our possessions... so why do we feel so attached to them? Thanks for stopping by to share with me this week (smile)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful page and I loved reading your thoughts behind it. I think my 'to keep' box of offcuts and experiments grows bigger by the day but like you I find it an invaluable source of material for journaling. I have to admit to being very emotional about material things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely beautiful!!! I love it and totally relate!

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a message!
~Susan

ShareThis2

BrendaPInnickColorCafe