Thursday, January 2, 2014

No New Year's Resolutions - Just House Rules Reminders!

Welcome 2014!  To be honest I am not much into New Year's Resolutions, however, thinking about resolutions led me to a project I have been wanting to create for a while:  a House Rules canvas.  It's a gentle reminder to me, and to each member of my family, to be the best person possible all year round!

I started with a search of the internet and found all kinds of signs with "house rules" on them and printed my favorite rules out onto tissue paper with a different font for each line.

The next step is to create the canvas background.  I wrinkled up some tissue paper, smoothed it out and adhered it to the canvas with Mod Podge.  I added color with semi-transparent acrylic paint in 2 shades of blue.  Then I used Mod Podge to adhere the various "rules" onto the canvas.
NOTE:  Tear the edges of the tissue paper as it will blend more easily into the background.
Using a variety of Susan's stamps, I stamped onto tissue paper with Black Archival Ink and then Mod Podged them onto the canvas as well. I used them kind of as "place holders" so I knew where to come back and add dimensional elements.
Notice the great texture the canvas has from the wrinkled tissue paper.

I painted over the cloud from the Fly Away stamp set with white paint then added a second layer of the cloud stamped tissue paper because I didn't want the blue background to show through.  I also really love the stitched edge detail!
Here's a look at the "cloud sandwich" with the white acrylic paint between the 2 layers of stamped tissue.

I stamped the sun onto paper from Fancy Pants Design's Collecting Moments collection and added it on top of the tissue paper sun. 
You can see the string suspending the sun - it is from the Mod Podged tissue sun.


The kite from the Fly Away stamp set was paper pieced and highlighted with white acrylic paint.  The little bows on the kite's tail were also painted with white acrylic.
Did you notice that the kite (and the cloud) are reversed images? I wanted the tail of the kite to go the opposite direction. It is easy to do when you stamp on tissue paper!


The house was paper pieced using Susan's Little Haven stamp and paper from the Collecting Moments collection.  I especially liked using the Fancy Pants Design's corrugated paper for the roof!
The little girl is from Susan's Grandma's Needlepoint stamp set. The chipboard fence, which I also painted with white acrylic, is from Want2Scrap.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today!







Susie Bentz
Susan K. Weckesser Design Team Member


Supplies:

2 comments:

  1. This is fabulous Susie! Makes me want to get busy and make one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and want one in my house.

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a message!
~Susan

ShareThis2

BrendaPInnickColorCafe